Friday, November 11, 2016

Marmot Transcend Pants

Got myself a pair of Transcend convertible pants from Marmot today. This was an online purchase off Jabong. It cost me Rs 3683. On Amazon it was a lot more expensive. I guess about Rs 5.5K. Insane to spend so much more there. 

It was a pure impulse purchase. I was a little over joyed to see official Marmot on sale on Indian websites. So ordered it, though I didn't have much need for them in the near future. Got it in khaki colour and in size 34. 

First-Wear Impressions

The fabric is soft and nice to touch. It's light in weight. The fit is a little loose. Have I grown even thinner or is it some Marmot speciality? Have to measure my waist. But my 32 Levi's fits me perfectly well. I wore the Marmot with a belt and it was fine. I might need to buy a canvas belt for treks. I am not returning it for fit. Length is fine too for trekking. The two cross pockets on the side don't have any zip. There is a zipped pocket on the right leg and two backpockets with velcro closure. 

The legs have zips on the side at the bottom so that one can wear or take it off with one's trekking boots on. 

The nicest thing about the pants is their convertibility. When you wear the full length you don't feel the zip round your lower thighs (unlike my Indian pair of convertible pants). Taking the lower half off to make it into a pair of half pants is a breeze. You don't need to struggle with the zip. 

I think I am going to enjoy this pair as a regular outdoor wear and not for trekking only. 

I shall revisit this after using the pair for a few years and give a long term review :-)

August 26, 2017

I wore these pants in two of my recent outings in 2017. Now is the time to give a short opinion about the experience. I wore them first for a few days during my Desert National (DNP) trip in February. Next I wore them to Roopkund. These are two extremes.

At Ganga dunes near Sam, DNP. February 2017


The trousers performed very well. I never had to bother about anything related to the trousers. It was roomy and airy in the desert. In the trek it performed well, particularly in the rain (basically a snowfall that turned into a rain). It started snowing in Roopkund and by the time I came back down to Bhogwabasa, it was raining hard. While I had my Marmot Precip on top, I had only the trousers for my bottom. It dried on my body within no time after the rains stopped.

Once again on the last day of my trek, I got completely drenched on the journey from Neel Ganga to Wan. It dried once again in no time. I think from now it will be my go to pants for treks or any rough journey, even the "with family" ones.

My only grouse is storage. There should have been more zippered pockets. Things can tumble out of the short cross pockets and they don't have any zip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment